So I’ve been home from college for 4 days and my mom has already requested that I bake something. I decided I would start out simple using ingredients we had in the house and made whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I found the recipe here and have to say they turned out great! I was worried they would be dry with only one stick of butter, they were still still moist. And since there’s only one stick of butter, oatmeal, and whole wheat flour, they may actually qualify as “healthy” cookies too!
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk*
1 cup rolled oats**
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees
– In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
– In a mixer, cream together butter and 2 sugars for about 2 minutes. Add in egg, vanilla, and milk.
– Slowly add the dry ingredients (flour mixture) into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. (Don’t overmix!)
– Stir in the oats and chocolate chips by hand. Dough should look like this:
– Form rounded balls (a little smaller than a golf ball) and place on baking tray. (I put parchment paper on top of the tray to make cleanup easier)
– Bake 11-12 minutes or until slightly golden. Let cookies cool a couple minutes on the tray, then remove from tray and let cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies (mine made 28).
*I used skim milk.
**I used quick oats, but old-fashioned would probably work well too.
They ended up being delicious! A great go-to recipe without any crazy ingredients.