My mom and I really like having stuffed bell peppers for dinner and usually I use brown rice as my grain of choice, but this time I decided to use quinoa. I used water to cook the quinoa in, but I think next time I’ll use chicken stock or vegetable stock to add some more flavor. Also, I used a bag of frozen corn and heated it up ahead of time, but fresh corn would work as well. Unfortunately, the one pictured on the left toppled over, but it still tasted delicious!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
4 large bell peppers, stems cut off and seeds removed
1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 16-oz bag frozen corn
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
pinch of salt and pepper
juice of 1 lime
sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– In a large pot, boil peppers until they are tender (about 5 minutes). Remove from pot and place on towel to dry.
– Cook quinoa according to package directions. For mine, I rinsed the quinoa, put it in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, brought it to a boil, then lowered the heat to medium and let it cook for about 10 minutes until all the water was absorbed.
– If using frozen corn, heat in the microwave. If using fresh, add in with the black beans in the next step.
– While the quinoa cooks, heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add in onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Add in red bell pepper, spices, and black beans. Stir in corn (fresh or frozen).
– Stir in lime juice and cooked quinoa.
– Place bell peppers in baking dish (I used a loaf pan), and fill peppers with mixture. Top with sprinkle of cheese.
– Cook for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minute before serving.
^^That’s how they look when finished! I ended up only making two and have TONS of filling leftover. I think I’ll add some shrimp, tomatoes, and avocado for a meal for tomorrow!