Apples and popcorn: what can I say about these two glorious foods. I love them so much, that I’m pretty sure I can live on just the two of them for my entire life and not get tired of them. My friends also know how much I love these two. It’s a rare day when I have neither of these items and it happens WAY more often than not when I have both of them.
For my 21st birthday, my friends made me a sign I had to wear around my neck with 21 things to do by the end of the night (and I finished!). They think my love of popcorn and apples is pretty amusing so one of the things on the list was to “have a serious conversation with someone about apples and popcorn.” Let me just start out by saying there were also more fun, exciting things on the list so you don’t think I’m lame (aka, rub a bald man’s head, sing to stranger, photobomb a stranger’s picture, get the whole bar to sing you happy birthday, etc.). I tried to start this conversation on early in the night, but some of my other friends weren’t going to bite–they wanted me to have to work for getting this box checked off on my sign. Anyways, I later on told a friend about the abundant benefits of apples and popcorn and decided to share a few with you.
Benefits of apples
1. They’re the perfect snack! Just around 100 calories.
2. The skin has fiber to help you feeling full.
3. The middle has a lot of water, so it helps you reach the daily requirement for water consumption.
4. They’re healthy. I mean they’re a fruit, c’mon. I choose not to listen to those who say fruit isn’t that great because it’s filled with sugar. After all, isn’t it better to have an apple than a bag of chips?
5. There’s variety! First of all there are three colors: green, yellow, and red. Then, within red there are at least 10 different varieties that can be crunchier or softer.
Are you craving an apple yet?
Benefits of popcorn
Let me start out by saying that I’m not taking about store-bought microwave popcorn. I’m taking about popcorn you either pop on the stove, air pop, or stick in a brown paper bag on your own.
1. Once again, the perfect snack! When do pop it yourself, you control how much butter, salt, etc. goes in, so it can actually be pretty healthy.
2. It has antioxidants? I have to admit, I don’t really know the science behind this claim, but it’s been popping all over the media lately. Because I was already a big popcorn eater, I didn’t feel the need to read about the antioxidants in popcorn because I was already obsessed with it and didn’t need any convincing.
3. Also once again, it has fiber to keep you feeling full.
4. You can customize it. You can add salt, seasoning, flavored butter, sugar, the list goes on! Any way you want it: plain, buttery, sugary, spicy…
5. It’s cheap. Have you ever looked at how much is costs to buy just the kernels and pop it on your own? Probably 10% of what it costs to buy microwave popcorn.
Do you really need any more convincing?
What do you love about apples and/or popcorn?
What’s your favorite snack?