I grew up with the same formula for dinner every night: protein + starch + veggie. I’ve learned to explore different protein and vegetable recipes, but always seem bored with starches. I don’t find them very exciting and usually want to neglect them whenever I’m not cooking pasta. To get me more excited (and to please my mom, who I was cooking for and who demands some starch), I decided to try something completely new: potato pancakes! I had heard of people using other vegetables along with potatoes, so I added some zucchini to mine. I think they turned out really well for me first time!
Potato and Zucchini Pancakes
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup peeled, grated potato (a little less than one medium potato)
1 cup peeled, grated zucchini (about one and a half medium zucchini)
1 egg, beaten
garlic powder (if desired)
onion powder (if desired)
– Put grated zucchini and potato in a dish towel and ring out extra water.
– Combine beaten egg, potato, zucchini, and seasonings in a bowl. Mix together.
– Heat oil and butter in skillet over medium heat.
– Form mixture into patties and place in skillet. Flatten with spatula. (Important to get them pretty flat–otherwise they won’t get crisp on the inside).
– Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until brown and crispy.
They turned out well!
Do you have any great starch recipes? Always in need of more!